1. Take photos!
This is the fun part! You can enter media (photos, video clips or audio files) that covers the theme of people, vehicles, animals and infrastructure that help to move people, goods, animals and things across Africa. Think rare and unusual ways of looking at those items we might take for granted around us.
2. Select the best!
Your media could go onto Wikipedia to illustrate an article. Choose photos and media where the subject matter is clear and in focus.
3. Register on Commons
You have to be registered on Wikimedia Commons to enter the competition. Make sure your email is enabled so that we can contact you if you are a winner! www.commons.wikimedia.org
4. Enter your photos!
Enter your photographs using this link to go directly to the upload page. Remember to describe the photo and add relevant categories to the image.
5. What now ?
Now you are registered on Wikipedia, the fun doesn’t stop here!! There are many things you can still do:
- Take more amazing photos and enter them!
- Add your photos to the relevant article on the Wikipedia in your language.
- If you see that a subject that you are passionate about is not yet on Wikipedia, then you might want to consider writing an article about that subject.
RULES OF THE COMPETITION
- Rule 1: All photos must be taken by the person submitting them. They can be uploaded by you or uploaded during a registered mass upload session. Your image must have your name or nom de plume on the uploaded file.
- Rule 2: Entries will only be accepted if uploaded between the 15th February to 31st March 2020. You can enter media that was taken at any time, even historic photographs (as long as you own the copyright on these photographs or they are in the public domain), but they must be uploaded during those dates.
- Rule 3: Participants must be registered on Wikimedia Commons and be contactable. Please enable e-mail on Wikimedia Commons when registering so we can contact you if your image is chosen for a prize.
- Rule 4: Images with watermarks or embedded signatures will not be eligible. All entries submitted to the contest will automatically be licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 (CC-BY-SA 4.0) (or those in the public domain). Read more about the cc-by-sa license here.
- Rule 5: All eligible pictures or media will be categorised under Images from Wiki Loves Africa 2020, this will be automatically assigned during the upload process. (Feel free to add other relevant categories and descriptions to make the images more usable on the projects.)
- Rule 6: To be considered for the video prize, the file must be uploaded in the video format (.ogg, .ogv, or .webm) that is required for Wikimedia Commons. Please note that the audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account for your file to be eligible for a prize.